Graphic design refers to various artistic, inventive and professional disciplines that focus on visual communication, production, and presentation for its audience.
There are many techniques graphic designers use to create and blend words, symbols, and images to form a visual representation that conveys a certain idea or message. Some of these techniques include typography, photo manipulation and icon design.
In this post, we’re giving you a closer look to 4 of the most popular graphic design techniques which are vector design, photo manipulation, typography and icon design. And we’ve given you 10 examples of each technique for your inspiration and pleasure!
Vector graphics differ from bitmap or pixel graphics in two main ways; vectors can be re-sized without losing any quality and they are also simpler and more focused on the important details rather than all the details of a graphic.
A vector design is basically an artwork made up of vector-based tools such as lines, curves and basic shapes commonly used in web design
1. Jimi Hendrix by MonsterOfTheID
2. Tyra by Maksalicious
3. Halle Berry by UniqueDee
5. Chris Martin 1 by Carolina
6. Michael Jackson The King by Victor Cavalera
7. PO Vexel by Ales Kotnik
8. Obey by Fraser Adams
9. Just Smile by Dark83
10. Photography by XO Boudoir
Photo manipulation is a graphic design method involving photography, illustration, and digital art all together to form a manipulated piece of art. Manipulating real-life photos allows the artist to create an entirely made up fantasy from reality!
Nowadays, photo manipulation is used in numerous fields such as advertising, simply because of its power to let viewers view the world from an entirely different perspective or angle. And once you’ve made your audience believe in another world, you can make them believe in anything else!
1. Future Reflections by Patrick Monkel
2. Orbiting Amsterdam Harbour by Nikolaj
3. Gaze by Craig Shields
4. INTUITION by BringYourHate
5. Splash n Lights by Bryce Chapman
6. NINJUT5U by BossLogic
7. A True Power by BringYourHate
8. Million Tears PRINT by BossLogic
9. We’re At War II by Stijn Verplancke
10. Milky by Pete Harrison
Typography is a graphic design practice that involves arranging various text types to produce a unique work of art that has nothing but text.
The reason it has become a very popular technique is because of its ability to focus solely on the content of the art without any distractions. Typography designers usually try to convey an idea or a message in their art to catch their audience’s interest.
1. Perfect Idea by Peter Kay
2. Just Be Creative by Marion
3. Rare by Peter Kay
4. Magik Mushroom by MagikPOINK
5. Smoke by MoshGraphy
6. ART by Christian San Jose
7. The New Generation by OneSkillWonder
8. Do You Helvetica by Aanoi
9. Good Thing About Bad Taste by OneSkillWonder
10. Life is… by Martin
Icon design is usually involved in creating efficient graphical user interfaces. Instead of using boring text blocks to navigate around, graphic and web designers create icons to make it easier and friendlier for the users to go through the interface.
Some people enjoy icons because they give them a sense of customization for their own personal computers; for example, Mac users like to download all kinds of Dock Icons to modify their Macs to fit their needs.
1. Earth Icon 2 by Nemed
2. Halloween Avatars by Jojo Mendoza
3. Drinks by Mihail Nikitin
4. Starbucks Address Book by Chekkz
5. Aluminium MacBook Pro OSX by Constantin Eichstaedt
6. Dualshock 3 Icon by Benjamin Nathan
7. Fjernsyn by Rasmus Nielsen
8. Trash Can Icon by Gert Jan Lodder
9. Sweatie by Delta Nine
10. Apple Rainbow Icon by Alex